Monday, March 07, 2011

Slow Cooked Salmon

Who knew you could slow cook salmon? And I don't mean in the crock pot...I mean in the oven! Maybe I am the last one to the party on this one, but I had no clue that such a thing was possible until I went looking for recipes this morning. All the reviews of this method of cooking seem wonderful, so I am excited to try it.

We are going to have a little farewell to winter foods tonight, featuring butternut squash, cauliflower, broccoli and the aforementioned salmon. Usually I cook salmon in some sort of asian preparation, but today I thought that the butternut squash and cruciferous vegetables demanded something different. Hence the slow cooked recipe. We are going to end up making a maple-glazed slow cooked salmon on a bed of onions with roasted butternut squash, cauliflower and broccoli. I hope that it tastes as good as it sounds right now! The recipes all look very easy; I will let you know that if this is truly the case! The recipes are as follows:

Maple-Glazed Slow Cooked Salmon

- 1 pound salmon fillet, cut into 4 equal pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup

- Brush the salmon with the maple syrup and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes to warm up.
- Preheat the oven to 250. Coat a baking dish with a thin coat of oil and spread the sliced onion across the bottom of the pan.
- Place the salmon fillets on top of the onions and place it in the oven. Cook for 30 minutes, until the internal temperature is 125.

Maple Roasted Butternut Squash

- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or less, if you want the squash to just be a bit caramelized)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or olive oil

- Preheat the oven to 400.
- In an 8 inch square baking dish toss the squash with the maple syrup and the butter or oil.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.

Oven roasted cauliflower

- 1 head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a lemon, juiced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- parmesan cheese (if desired)

- Preheat the oven to 400. (We will cook this dish right alongside the butternut squash.)
- In a large baking dish, toss the cauliflower, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt together well.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.

Hope you all have a wonderful dinner!

No comments: